Views: 191 Posts: 0 Started By: lil_prince Last Poster: lil_prince Last Post Date: Jun 12, 2016
June 12, 2016 ( Post 1 )

In the heat of the suspense that followed the
1993 presidential election declared as the
freest and fairest in Nigeria’s history, then
head of state, General Ibrahim Babangida,
annulled the election in a broadcast to the
entire world.

This singular action gave birth to the various
groups that began the demand for democracy that finally came in 1999 after the death of General Sani Abacha. Abacha died in office as the head of state on June 8, 1998.

Ibrahim Babangida, Moshood Abiola and Sani
Abacha Nigeria welcomed democracy with the swearing- in of Chief Olusegun Obasanjo to the office on May 29, 1999.

Here is the speech by Babangida that almost
swallowed Nigeria:

Fellow Nigerians:

I address you today with a deep sense of world history and particularly of the history of our great country. In the aftermath of the recently annulled Presidential Election, I feel, as I believe you yourself feel, a profound sense of disappointment at the outcome of our last efforts at laying the foundation of a viable democratic system of government in Nigeria. I therefore wish, on behalf of myself and members of the National Defence and Security Council and indeed of my entire administration, to feel with my fellow countrymen and women for the cancellation of the election.

It Was a rather disappointing experience in the course of carrying through the last election of the transition to civil rule programme. Nigeria has come a long way since this administration assumed power and leadership about eight years ago. In the attempt to grapple with the critical and monumental problems and challenges of National existence and social progress, this administration inaugurated and pursued sound and justifiable policies and programmes of reform.

These policies and programmes have touched Virtually all aspects of our national life – the economy, political process, social structures, external relations, bureaucracy and even the family system. I believe strongly that in understanding, conception, formulation and articulation, these policies and programmes are not only sound but also comparatively unassailable. I believe too that history, with the passage of time, would certainly score the administration high in its governance of our country.

Let me also express my deep conviction that the core strategy and structures of our reform policies and programmes, as enunciated in 1986/87 would, for a very long time, remain relevant and durable in the course of changing our country positively. I believe that at the exit of the Administration from power, we would leave behind for prosperity, a country with an economy, the structures of which have been turned around for good. The average Nigerian person has come to reconcile himself with the fact that his or her social progress remain essentially in his or her hands in collaboration with other fellow Nigerians and not merely relying on what government alone could provide for him or her.

The days are gone for good, when men and women trooped to government establishments for employment and for benevolence.

Share it Let Friends Know

Make A Reply Below!

Desired Name:

Comment:

You Can Now Beautify Your Posts With
BBcodes || Smileys